Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hearth and Home

From January 30:

I hear rumors of impending food and water shortages, but right now, I've never eaten so well. For better or for worse, this is not my revolution [about which more in a forthcoming post - ed], so I'm not out all night with the protesters. Nor am I a proper journalist. So basically, I don't have a lot to do. I've been cooking these incredibly elaborate meals, just to pass the time. I've been substituting cooking steps unnecessarily just because they're more time consuming. Tonight was a ginger-scallion-carrot-spicy sausage thing, easy to execute but involving lots of chopping and grinding, very sensual. I got the balance of spices just right, and the apartment smells wonderful. Drove that burned-tire smell right out.

I wish I could share these dishes with my friends, but I live on one of the most guarded streets in Cairo. I don't know they could make it to the building after dark, and I wouldn't want to ask. A pity - I don't think this dish will do well as leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment